The temporomandibular joint is an axis in your body that can connect your jaw to the chronological bones of your skull that are in front of each ear. It can let you move your jaw up and down and side to side. So, you can able to talk, yawn and chew. In some cases, you may feel the pain in your jaw and it makes the uncomfortable feel. The problems with your jaw muscles in your face are often known as the temporomandibular disorder.
In fact, the jaw pain is described as the throbbing or the uncomfortable pain. Therefore, it may happen in any sort of the time with the mild starting and become more intense over the time. Whatever it may be, the exact symptoms of this pain will vary depending on the root cause. So, identifying the causes of this disorder is the best way to treat this problem.
Causes of jaw pain
Pain in your jaw may occurred for the variety of the reasons and let’s see some causes that makes the jaw pain on your left side.
- Injury to your jaw, muscles or the joint of your head and neck can be the reason of pain. Of course, heavy blow or the whiplash can also lead to this jaw pain.
- Clenching or grinding your teeth may make issues on the joint and it can lead to the severe pain in your jaw. Some people grind their teeth when they are stress and some others clench their teeth while sleeping.
- Arthritis in joint can also be the reason for this loaded pain
- Osteomyelitis is an infection that can travel through the blood stream in the body and it can affect the bones and the surrounding tissues. If it is experienced by the person, it causes fever, jaw pain, facial swelling and more.
- Jaw pain causes are also depended on the dental conditions and so it can include with the gum diseases, abscess and the cavities. The pain on the teeth may radiate or affect the jaw area.
- As abscessed tooth is the result of the dental pulp or the nerve. So, it becomes infected and causes the jaw pain when it is not treated correctly.
- Anxiety can also cause the tight facial and so it leads to the jaw muscles to clench the teeth. So, it gives a lot of pain on the jaw.
- Frequent hum chewing or the eating the hard to chew foods can also make the pain on the joint.
- Uneven bite and the congenital disorders may also be the reason for this problem.
Symptoms of jaw pain
When you are affected by the jaw joint problems, you may feel some discomfort and pain on that area. It may affect one or both side of the face and it is highly affecting the people between 20 and 40 years old. Let’s see some of the common symptoms of the jaw pain in the following points.
- Tenderness or pain in your face, joint area of the jaw, shoulders, neck and even around the ear at the time of chewing the food items and speak
- You feel more pain when you try to open your mouth widely
- Jaws may get suck or lock in the open or even the closed mouth position.
- You may hear the popping, clicking or grating sounds in the jaw when you have opened or closed your mouth or chewing. In this case, you may feel pain.
- You may feel the dull and tired look and feel in your face.
- It gives quite troubles in chewing the food items or the uncomfortable bite and you may also feel the swelling on the side of your face.
These are the symptoms that show you are affected by the jaw pain and you may also feel the aches in neck, mouth, tooth, head and ear. As well as, you may also get hearing problems, ringing in the ears and even the upper shoulder problems at the time of feeling the jaw pain.
Treatments to eliminate the jaw pain
If you are affected by jaw pain by the above mentioned causes, you can try to get rid of it. Fortunately, you can try to follow some home treatments for this jaw pain and let the treatments to avoid this pain in the most effective manner.
Use the humid heat or cold packs – You can apply the ice pack on the side of your face and the area you feel the pain for 10 minutes. Then, you can do some stretches that your dentists had prescribed you to ease the pain. After that, you have to hold the warm towel on the area for 5 minutes to reduce the pain. You can try this method at lease thrice a day for easing the pain.
Try to take soft food items – It is better to avoid those hard to chew food items like meat. So, you can opt for the food items like mashed potatoes, yogurt, soup, cottage cheese, fish, scrambled eggs, cooked vegetables, grains in your meals. It can help to avoid chewing and therefore, you can skip the hard and crunchy food items.
Avoid extreme level of jaw moments – You need to control your chewing and yawning in the minimum level. Of course, you can do anything that does not force you to open your mouth wide.
Don’t rest your chin on your hand – It is important to avoid holding your phone between your shoulder and ear. Therefore, you have to practice the good posture to ease the neck and jaw pain.